FAQs for Indian students to study in Malaysia

Q: I will be visiting Malaysia on a 'Tourist Visa'. Will it permissible to convert my existing 'Tourist Visa' in to a 'Student Visa', in case I get admission in a university/college during my visit there?

A: No, Indian students desiring to pursue education in Malaysia must possess a 'Student Visa' prior to their arrival in Malaysia.  A 'Tourist Visas' cannot be converted to a 'Student Visas' after arrival in the country.

Q: Who will arrange for my student visa?

A: In case of admission in a private college/university, the institution forwards your student visa application form to the 'Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS)' https://www.educationmalaysia.gov.my/ After the EMGS processes the student visa application, a 'Visa Approval Letter' (VAL) is issued by the university/college.  The Malaysian Embassy in Delhi or Consulates in Mumbai/ Chennai will then issue you the necessary visa.  In case of admission in a public college/university, the approval for of your 'Student Visa' will be obtained by the institution directly from the Malaysian Immigration Department.

Q: Is it mandatory for private colleges/ universities to get the student visa processed through EMGS?

A: Yes.

Q: How much will EMGS charges for processing my 'Student Visa'?

A: EMGS charges RM1,000/- (approximately Rs. 18,000) for each application.  This fee is non-refundable even if admission is not secured or refused by the university/college later.

Q: Do I need to make payment to EMGS directly?

A: No, EMGS will collect the processing fees of your visa from the university/ college.

Q: Are there any other additional charges?

A: Yes, you will have to pay for medical insurance, medical examination charges and visa fees to the college separately, which would be about RM850 (approximately Rs. 15,000) in the first year.

Q: Why EMGS charges RM1,000?

A: EMGS will advise you about credibility or genuineness of the university/college where admission has been secured and arrange for the 'Visa Approval Letter (VAL), if the university/ college is accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).  The MQA accredited list of courses is available at https://www2.mqa.gov.my/mqr/ and the provisional accreditation list at https://www2.mqa.gov.my/pasp/

Q: How early should I apply for the 'Student Visa'?

A: You should apply at least 6 weeks before commencement of the course.

Q: What will be the maximum validity of the 'Student Visa'?

A: The maximum validity of the 'Student Visa' is 1 year, and it has to be renewed every year.

Q: Is medical screening compulsory for international students?

A: Yes, all international students must undergo a medical screening at an EMGS appointed panel clinic within 7 days upon arriving in Malaysia.

Q: I heard that India has become a permanent signatory of 'Washington Accord' with effect from 13th June, 2014. Can you kindly explain how the students will be benefited from this?

A: On 13 June 2014 India joined a select group of countries who are permanent signatories to Washington Accord.  The Washington Accord is an international agreement amongst prominent nations of the world with the charter of promoting mobility and quality assurance of engineers across international boundaries.  As Malaysia is also a signatory of this Accord, engineering graduates from the NBA accredited colleges and universities in India will now find their degrees recognized in Malaysia.  Similarly, Malaysian students may also seek admission in NBA accredited institutions in India, whose degrees will now be recognized in Malaysia.

Q: What is the 'Graduate Pass' visa issued by the Government of Malaysia?

A:Please visit the following links on the EMGS website to know more about the Graduate Pass:

Q: Whom should I contact, regarding studying in Malaysia?

A: Please contact Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS).

Tel: +60 3 2782 5888.

Fax: +60 3 2711 8533

Everyday 9AM to 8PM (Malaysia Time is IST + 2 ½ hrs)

E-mail: visa@educationmalaysia.gov.my